Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Illusionist

[from September 2, 2006]



This movie was quite enjoyable, despite not meeting my expectations. I won't go into any details because it's a highly spoilable movie, and even knowing nothing about it going into it, I was totally unsurprised by most of what happened. The setting and costumes are gorgeous - it's a great-looking movie - and the illusions are very impressive and entertaining. I was pleasantly surprised by Jessica Biel, whose acting talents I had not been hitherto impressed with, and the romance was unexpectedly pleasing. The Viennese accents were spotty, but not too distracting, and if loving Rufus Sewell as the baddie is wrong then I don't want to be right. :P I'd recommend it, if you're looking for an interesting diversion and don't mind being a few steps ahead of the movie's "secret."

No comments: